Welcome to the South African Bettors’ Ultimate Betting Guide! This all-in-one interactive handbook was designed to assist you in learning the fundamentals of Sports Betting, Lucky Numbers, and BetGames. Our goal with this detailed guide is to introduce you to the most common types of betting, where to play, and how to get started right away!
History of Legal Sports Betting in South Africa
Due to prohibitions in effect for several years prior to democracy, legal sports betting in South Africa is still relatively recent. The National Gambling Act of 2004 established rules for gambling practices, as well as a new set of norms and standards. The National Gambling Board was charged with overseeing and regulating the gambling industry.
Over 32 websites where South Africans can legally gamble have already been authorised by nine gambling boards in South Africa. Any operator who has been issued a license by the province’s gambling board is legally allowed to allow South Africans to play on their platform. Our country’s online sports betting industry is now estimated to be worth around R800 million!
Sports Betting in South Africa
In South Africa, sports betting has grown to the point that there are over 30 bookmakers to choose from in the last few years! We’ll look at why more people are betting online, how to open a sports betting account, and everything else you need to get started in this section.
In case you want to learn more about a specific betting location, we’ve reviewed most of the best bookmakers in South Africa in our review section. Every bookmaker has its own set of advantages and disadvantages, and we’ve done our best to identify the best and worst bookmakers in South Africa. We only suggest South African-licensed bookmakers so that punters can bet with confidence.
Betting Shop vs Online Betting
It wasn’t long ago that the only way to place a sports wager in South Africa was to go to the tote. Punters also prefer brick-and-mortar bookmakers, and they account for a sizable portion of the sports betting industry. However, as more operators become licensed online, punters are increasingly using their computers or smartphones to place bets.
Data Free Sports Betting Sites
Another thing to consider when betting online is whether you want to do so without using any details. In South Africa, there are a number of Data Free Betting Sites where you can wager without using any data. On a data-free platform, though, you won’t be able to play those casino games or live stream matches, which isn’t a concern for sports fans. Betway, Gbets, World Sports Betting, and Supabets are currently offering free betting info.
How to Open a Sports Betting Account
For most websites the process of opening a betting account is fairly simple. By following the following steps you will be able to open an account:
- In your browser, type the bookmaker’s web address. You can always Google the name and find it from there if you don’t know the address. Alternatively, you can look through our list of betting sites to find one that appeals to you.
- Look near the top right of your screen on the site’s homepage and press the button that says “Join now!” “Register” or “Open an account.”
- Fill in your personal information, including your full name, address, and phone number. Make a username and password that you won’t forget! To keep your account secure, we suggest using a strong password.
- Look for an email asking you to validate your account in your inbox. Some bookmakers can send you a text message to confirm your registration.
- You can now log in and make your first deposit after your account has been verified.
How to Deposit Money into Your Account
It’s easy to put money into your sports betting account. Your payment choices can vary depending on the website, but they should at the very least include debit and credit cards. You may also deposit using an EFT from an associated bank, a web wallet, or a voucher on the best pages.
- Go to your favorite sports betting website’s home page.
- Enter your username and password to access your account.
- Select “Deposit” from the drop-down menu (often at the top right of your screen)
- Select a deposit method and a deposit number.
Placing your first Sports bet
You’ve now opened a sports betting account and learned how to make a deposit so you can begin making wagers. Placing your first bet is the next step in your sports betting journey. To do so, you’ll need to know the fundamentals of what you can bet on and how to position a bet, which we’ll go through in detail below.
Which Sports can I Bet on?
Horse racing, soccer, football, cricket, golf, as well as American sports like the NFL, baseball, basketball, ice hockey, and many others, are all available to bet on in South African sports books. Some bookmakers will sell sports that others will not, but both will offer soccer betting at the very least.